When it comes to quality air circulation at home, a room humidifier can be your best bet, as this device is designed to moisten the dry air in your home. By doing so, it helps prevent various respiratory diseases and health issues. In fact, it is deemed effective at treating the dryness of skin, nose, throat, and lips while addressing the symptoms of flu, common colds, and bronchitis. However, it’s vital to choose the right humidifier that best suits your household needs.
In this article, we will share five key factors to consider when selecting a humidifier:
1. Basic type
There are five basic types of humidifiers, and each comes with its own features and capabilities and pros and cons. Below are several models you can choose from:
- Central humidifier: This is directly built and designed into your home’s HVAC system.
- Evaporator: This works by blowing moisture through a moistened filter, where the fans power the unit and release humidity into the air.
- Impeller humidifier: This has rotating disks running at high speed that creates cool mist and releases it into the air.
- Ultrasonic humidifier: This has two ceramic plates that vibrate at an ultrasonic frequency to produce a cool mist.
- Steam vaporizer: As it is electrically powered, it heats and then cools water before releasing the mist into the air.
2. Cool vs. warm mist
When it comes to a humidifier, keep in mind that you have the option to choose between one producing a cool mist and one releasing a warm mist. Take note of the following details:
- Warm-mist steam humidifier: This releases warm mist into the air. It is notable for killing mould spores and bacteria, and is popular and common among households.
- Cool-mist steam humidifier: This model cools and purifies the moisturized air. While it is a bit expensive, it is gradually taking ground in various properties.
3. Size and capacity
Humidifiers can come in various shapes and sizes, which usually affect their performance and overall capacity to release humid air. Their sizes and capacities can be determined by the following factors:
- The size of the water holding tank
- The amount of water put into a room per day
- The square footage of the space
With that being said, remember to check your room size and space and see what size and capacity of humidifier you’ll need before making a purchase.
4. Health and safety features
One of the main reasons homeowners invest in humidifiers and install them at home is how they can promote overall well-being. As mentioned above, it has plenty of health benefits, such as addressing dry skin and preventing respiratory diseases. On the other hand, you must also ensure the safety of the model you’ll invest in. Ultimately, the health and safety features of a dehumidifier will make all the difference in your purchase decision.
You must not forget the warranty of the model you’ll purchase, so be sure to read the fine print. If there are some issues with your equipment, you will be able to have it repaired by professionals within the warranty period.
Here at Legacy Heating, our HVAC contractors in Edmonton have a high level of expertise and years of experience in the industry. Our ultimate goal is to keep you and your family comfortable and healthy, no matter the season. If you’re looking to install a room humidifier for your home, we’ve got you covered!
At this point, we’ve covered the five key factors to consider when looking for and selecting a room humidifier. Be sure to consider the basic type, cool vs. warm mist, size and capacity, health and safety features, and warranty. With all these factors, you’ll be able to make the right selection and purchase decision.
We provide heating and air conditioning services in Edmonton, such as HVAC repair, replacement, and even installation. We also install and replace furnaces, air conditioners, air cleaners, thermostats, humidifiers, heat recovery ventilation (HRV) units, and humidifiers. Get in touch with us today to get a free quote!