Cool Summer Tips! Summer in Edmonton can be unpredictable at times but one thing is for sure it’s a HOT one. As temperatures rise we all know that using AC, having a Popsicle or getting drenched in water are ways to stay cool. But here are 11 ways to keep your cool in our hot temperature
11 Summertime Coolness Tips!
- Eat small meals more often throughout the day. Your body spends less time creates breaking down food. Avoid foods that are high in protein, which increase metabolic heat.
- Every 2 hours run your wrists under a cold water for 5 seconds as a main vein passes through this area, it helps cool the blood.
- Eat spicy food. I know the question really? In taking curries and chilies will stimulate heat receptors in the mouth, enhance circulation and cause sweating, which cools the body down.
- Take a bath or shower just below body temperature before bedtime. Although a cold shower might sound more tempting, your body generates heat afterwards to compensate for the heat loss.
- It’s true basements are the coolest area in the house. So take advantage of going downstairs as it runs 10-15 degrees than the upstairs of the house, and keep cool!
- Wear lightweight, light-coloured cotton clothes. Heat is trapped by synthetic fibers, but cotton absorbs perspiration and its evaporation causes you to feel cooler. The light colours reflect the sun’s radiation.
- Some of us tend to forget to do this but keeping the curtains drawn when you are out can prevent the house overheating and feeling like a sauna.
- On a hot day it’s natural to crave a nice cold beer or a chilled spritzer but as many of you know alcohol dehydrates the body. Although it’s not as satisfying as those drinks, a great substitution is mineral water or low-sugar fizzy drinks. Drinks with caffeine such as coffee and colas will crease the metabolic heat in the body.
- Purchase a Chillow. It’s a thin, soft, thermo-regulating leather device that you place inside your pillow case or lay on top of your pillow to keep your head cool. In studies, Chillow users got to sleep an average of 68 per cent faster. You can pick one up at Walmart or Bed, Bath and Beyond.
- Sleeping under a sheet is one of the best things to do. Even better, put your sheets in a plastic bag and stick them in the fridge a couple of hours before going to bed. As we fall asleep our body temperature lowers, which is why it’s difficult to sleep in hot weather. Cold sheets straight from the fridge should help you sleep better.
- Air conditioning units is a great way to stay cool all summer long and at Legacy Heating and Cooling we can help with your needs.
Contact Us Today
We’ll help you find the right heating and air conditioning system for you and your budget.