6 Factors That Can Affect Your HVAC System’s Efficiency

You’ve probably seen the distinctive yellow EnergyGuide label on your appliances, which estimates how much the appliance will cost to operate. The higher the number, the more efficient the appliance is. 

The same goes for your HVAC system—efficiency is an important factor when shopping for a new system. It measures how much energy the system uses to provide heating or cooling compared to other similar systems. The rating is expressed as a percentage. 

For example, a system with an efficiency rating of 80 per cent uses 80 per cent of its energy to provide heating or cooling, and the other 20 per cent is lost as heat. The higher the rating, the more efficient the system is. 

But other factors also affect your system’s efficiency. Let’s take a closer look at each of these factors and how you can improve them.

1. The Age of Your System

Older systems are less efficient than newer ones because technology has improved over time. If you have an older system, you might want to consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient model.

2. The Maintenance

If you don’t regularly change your system’s air filter, for example, the system has to work harder to move air through the dirty filter, which uses more energy and lowers the system’s efficiency. 

Regular maintenance can help keep your system running at peak efficiency.

3. The Size of Your HVAC System

If your system is too small for your home, it has to work harder to heat or cool the space, which lowers its efficiency. Conversely, if your system is too large for your home, it will cycle on and off more frequently, also reducing its efficiency.

Therefore, it’s important to have a system that is properly sized for your home.

4. The Location of Your System 

The location of your system can also affect its efficiency. If your system is located in a hot, sunny spot, it will have to work harder to cool your home. If your system is located in a cold, shady spot, it will have to work harder to heat your home. 

It’s important to keep your system in a location that is as cool and shady as possible to help it work as efficiently as possible.

5. The Insulation of Your Home

Well-insulated homes require less heat and cool energy, saving you money on your utility bills. If your home is not well-insulated, your HVAC system has to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature, which uses more energy and costs you more money.

There are a few things you can do to improve the insulation of your home:

1. Check for air leaks around doors and windows and seal them with caulk or weatherstripping.

2. Add insulation to your attic, walls, and floors.

3. Install energy-efficient windows and doors.

6. The Type of System 

The type of HVAC system you have can also affect its efficiency. Central air systems are typically more efficient than window units. If you’re unsure what system you have, a professional can help you determine which type is best for your home.


There are a number of factors that affect your HVAC system’s efficiency. These are the age of your system, how well your system is maintained, the size of the HVAC system, the location of your system, the insulation and the type of the system. 

By using this guide on how to improve these factors, you can help ensure that your system is as efficient as possible.

At Legacy Heating, we specialize in HVAC maintenance and can help you take care of your cooling and heating systems. By investing in annual maintenance, you can save money in the long run by avoiding costly repairs or replacements. Give us a call now if you require HVAC expertise in the Edmonton and Calgary areas! 

HVAC Brands We're Proud to Carry

Legacy only uses the most efficient and cost-effective HVAC products. We pride ourselves on putting quality and customers first! We will equip your new home with the best HVAC system and offer the most reliable residential heating service in Edmonton and Calgary.

Contact Us Today

We’ll help you find the right heating and air conditioning system for you and your budget.

Edmonton Area 780-733-1256 Calgary Area 403-451-1337

Honesty, Integrity, Legacy