Winter is coming, and you need your furnace to work efficiently to keep you warm and comfortable. Regular furnace servicing is crucial to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. But how often should you get your furnace serviced? In this article, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about furnace servicing and help you determine the ideal frequency for your furnace.
What Is Furnace Servicing?
Furnace servicing refers to inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining your furnace to ensure its efficiency, safety, and longevity. During a furnace service, a licensed technician inspects and cleans various components of your furnace, including the filter, blower, heat exchanger, burners, and thermostat. They also check for potential issues and make necessary repairs or replacements to prevent future problems.
The Importance of Furnace Servicing
Regular furnace servicing offers numerous benefits, including:
- Improving Efficiency: A well-maintained furnace operates efficiently, reducing energy consumption and lowering heating bills.
- Increasing Lifespan: Regular servicing can extend your furnace’s lifespan, saving you money on costly repairs or replacements.
- Enhancing Safety: Furnace servicing ensures your furnace operates safely, reducing the risk of carbon monoxide leaks, fire hazards, and other potential dangers.
- Preventing Breakdowns: Regular maintenance can help detect and fix small issues before they become major breakdowns, saving you from costly repairs and replacements.
How Often Should You Get Your Furnace Serviced?
The frequency of furnace servicing depends on various factors, such as:
- Age of Your Furnace: If your furnace is relatively new (less than five years), it may require servicing once a year. However, older furnaces (over ten years) may require more frequent servicing.
- Usage: If you use your furnace heavily (e.g., more than eight hours a day), you may need to service it more frequently than someone who uses it less often.
- Type of Furnace: Different furnaces (such as gas, electric, or oil) may require different servicing frequencies. Consult your manufacturer’s manual or a licensed technician to determine the ideal frequency for your furnace.
- Warranty: Furnace manufacturers often require regular servicing to maintain the warranty. Failing to service your furnace per the manufacturer’s instructions may void the warranty.
In general, getting your furnace serviced at least once a year is recommended. However, it’s crucial to consult a licensed technician to determine the ideal frequency for your furnace based on the above factors.
Signs That Your Furnace Needs Servicing
Apart from regular servicing, certain signs indicate your furnace requires immediate attention. If you notice any of the following signs, contact a licensed technician:
- Strange Noises: If your furnace makes unusual noises (such as banging, rattling, or squealing), it may indicate a problem with the blower, motor, or other components.
- Poor Performance: If your furnace isn’t heating your home evenly or taking longer than usual to reach the desired temperature, it may be a sign of a clogged filter, faulty thermostat, or other issues.
- High Energy Bills: If your energy bills are higher than usual despite using your furnace the same amount, it may indicate that your furnace is working inefficiently.
- Foul Smell: If you notice a strange smell (such as gas or burning) coming from your furnace, it may indicate a gas leak or other potential hazards.
Prepare Your Furnace for Winter with Legacy Heating
Furnace servicing is crucial to ensure your furnace operates efficiently, safely, and for a longer period. Getting your furnace serviced at least once a year is recommended, but it’s crucial to consult a licensed technician to determine the ideal frequency for your furnace. Don’t ignore the signs that indicate your furnace needs immediate attention. Contact a licensed technician to fix the issues and prevent potential hazards.
Contact our licensed technicians at Legacy Heating to schedule your furnace servicing today and ensure a cozy and comfortable winter season. We offer the most comprehensive and cost-effective HVAC products and services in Edmonton and Calgary’s surrounding areas and pride ourselves on putting quality and customers first! If you need a Goodman or any make of furnace serviced in Edmonton and Calgary, we’ve got you covered. Get in touch with us to get a free quote!
HVAC Brands We're Proud to Carry
Legacy only uses the most efficient and cost-effective HVAC products. We pride ourselves on putting quality and customers first! We will equip your new home with the best HVAC system and offer the most reliable residential heating service in Edmonton and Calgary.
Contact Us Today
We’ll help you find the right heating and air conditioning system for you and your budget.